Monday, November 26, 2007

Digital photography

This is what happens when you let your blog slide. I KNOW I wrote my blog entry about “anything technology related that interests you” months ago! Probably I got interrupted before I actually posted it. Oh well.

One of the best things to come down the pike in recent years has been digital photography. We bought our first digital camera in 1999, the year we had one daughter graduating from high school and one graduating from college. That’s how we justified the purchase of what was then a $900 camera!

We are not great photographers, but we have taken some very special photographs in our time. It is possible that the pictures we took with our 35 mm camera were better overall quality than our digital pictures. But the digital pictures allow us to custom crop, and make other “fixes” ourselves. We can send digital pictures to friends and relatives easily via email or post them to a sharing site. We can FIND our pictures, because they are stored digitally in folders on the computer (and backed up on CD). They don’t take up a lot of space. Etc.

I have also been able to work wonders with old photographs that I have digitized, restoring pictures that were creased otherwise damaged.

No comments: