Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Discovering Wiki-world

I first learned about wikis 5 years ago when I was in library school. I was taking a class that explored all manner of digital things. We dabbled in such things as perl, XML, and javascript, and all of our homework has to be posted on our own webpages. My partner & I won a departmental award for our final project, an implementation of DSpace. Ah, but that is another story.

Anyway, I had forgotten that I had played around with a wiki before. Recently I have had occasion to post to 2 wikis: one is for Learning Libraries 3 , and the other is for Project NOW. Everyone at PGCMLS know what that is, right? These 2 wikis are hosted by 2 different (free) services, and while I don’t plan to offer a comprehensive comparison here, I do have at least one observation.

The Learning Libraries wiki uses the PBwiki site, and the Project NOW wiki is hosted at Wetpaint. I am signed up for update notification of both wikis.

The PBwiki notification shows me --- in the body of the email the change that was made (including previous text) and who made the change. The Wetpaint notification tells me only that a change has been made. To see the change, I have to log into the wiki & find the change.

Guess which one I like better.

No comments: